Common Questions After An Accident In DC

  • aba
  • aaj
  • superlawyers
  • BBB
  • AVVO
  • icoa

You may have a number of questions after an automobile accident. Who do you need to notify? Who is responsible for paying for the damages? Will your insurance company pay your claim? The answers will depend on a number of factors. If you have any questions regarding what to do after a car accident, your attorney may be able to help make sure you are compensated for your injuries.

Do you have to stop after a minor fender bender?

Some of the most common accidents people get involved in are minor fender benders. These often occur in a parking lot, or while parallel parking on crowded DC streets. If no one was injured, it may be tempting to ignore the minor collision. However, after any accident, you may be required to stop at the scene. Leaving the scene of an accident can lead to criminal charges. Before you leave the scene of an accident, you should make sure to leave your contact information for the vehicle owner.

Do I have to give the other driver my license number and insurance information?

You may be required to provide your name, contact information, and insurance coverage information after an accident. You should also make sure you get the same information from any other driver involved after an accident. You should provide this information to your insurance company as part of your accident claim. If another driver does not want to give you their information or if they do not have insurance, you may want to contact the police.

What should I say to the other driver after an accident?

You should be careful what you say to the other driver after an accident. Some drivers may be intimidating and aggressive, blaming you for causing the accident. However, it is important to remember that the side of the road is not the time to determine who was responsible for the accident. You may need to provide your contact information and insurance information; however, you should be careful about saying anything that could imply fault.

Should I call the police after an accident?

You may not need to call the police after a minor accident if no one was injured and the damage was minor. However, if any driver, passenger, or bystander was injured, you may be required to contact the emergency personnel. If one of the drivers tries to leave the scene of an accident, does not have insurance, does not have a driver’s license, or is driving while impaired, you may be required to contact the police. In some cases, a police report will back up your accident claim.

Do I need medical attention after a minor accident?

Serious car accidents often require medical attention. However, driver’s involved in minor accidents may skip going to the hospital. Unfortunately, even minor car accidents can result in serious bodily injury. A driver may not feel any pain immediately after an accident and believe no damage was done. However, a day or two later, neck or back pain may set in. If there is any chance of injury, you should seek medical attention after an accident. Early diagnosis and treatment may reduce the chance of serious or permanent injury after an accident.

What if the other driver is uninsured or underinsured?

A car accident can lead to expensive medical bills, lost wages, and costly car repairs. If the other driver caused the accident, their insurance company should pay for the damages. However, if the other driver does not have insurance, or does not have enough insurance, you may be left dealing with your own insurance company. If your insurance company does not want to pay for the damages, your attorney can step in to make sure you are compensated after an accident.

Do I have to talk to the insurance company?

Your insurance policy may require you to report the accident within a certain amount of time. You will generally have to give the insurance agent information about the accident, any other people involved, and if an accident report was taken. If your insurance company declines your claim or only offers to pay a portion of your claim, you may want to contact an attorney. Your attorney will deal with the insurance company, to get you the compensation you deserve.

The other driver’s insurance company may also try and contact you. However, you may want to decline to speak to the other insurance company, and have your attorney deal with them. The other insurance company may try and get you to say something that could compromise your claim.

Should I accept a settlement offer?

The insurance company may offer you a settlement after an accident. However, before you accept the settlement offer, you should make sure you understand the terms of the offer. In accepting the settlement, you may be giving up your legal rights to sue. The settlement offer may seem fair at the time, but it may not fully compensate you for your injuries. Talk to your attorney about the offer before you agree to sign.

Should I hire an attorney?

Many people don’t think they need a lawyer after they are involved in a car accident. However, an attorney can deal with the insurance company so you don’t have to. They can also make sure you are fully compensated for your injuries. In most cases, an attorney will even take your case with no upfront costs, and will only get paid if you win your claim.

For Any Other Questions

If you have any questions after a car accident in Washington D.C., the law firm of Gilman & Bedigian may be able to help. Our attorneys have years of experience dealing with automobile accident cases throughout the metro DC area. We will fight for your rights to make sure you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation.

    Contact Us Now

    Call 800-529-6162 or complete the form. Phones answered 24/7. Most form responses within 5 minutes during business hours, and 2 hours during evenings and weekends.

    100% Secure & Confidential


    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors
    Search in posts
    Search in pages

      100% Secure & Confidential