What If I’m Not A Philly Resident But Got Injured There?

  • aba
  • aaj
  • superlawyers
  • BBB
  • AVVO
  • icoa

Philadelphia is one of the most visited cities in America. Millions of visitors from near and far come to Philadelphia every year for work, play, or both. Unfortunately, just like anywhere, people from outside of the city can suffer an injury while they are in Philadelphia. It can be difficult to deal with a personal injury lawsuit if you were injured in Philadelphia and are not a resident. However, if you find the right attorney, they can help you through the claims process to make sure you receive full compensation for your injury.

Visitors to Philadelphia

There are lots of reasons that bring people to Philadelphia every year. Many are tourists, checking out the many attractions in the City of Brotherly Love, like Reading Terminal Market or Independence Hall. Others are here on business for an event at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, one of the largest in the country. Some people are just passing through on their way up or down the Eastern Seaboard. Whatever brings them here, they could end up involved in a car accident, slip and fall, or other injury.

When people come to Philadelphia, they may bring their own car, rent a car at the airport, or rely on public transportation. Unfortunately, any mode of transportation can involve an injury. Cars get involved in accidents all the time, as do city buses. If you are injured in a car accident as a visitor, you may have to seek medical treatment in a local hospital. It can be a stressful experience to be treated in a different city, while having to deal with a damaged car, insurance companies, and tracking down the negligent driver.

Another common injury for non-residents involves slip and fall injuries, tripping injuries, or other types of premise liability while visiting Philadelphia. They may be injured in their hotel room, slip on a wet floor in a restaurant, or be knocked over while attending an Eagles game. Sometimes, these injuries don’t seem too serious, and only after the visitor gets home do they realize that their injury is worse than they thought.

Many neck, back, and head injuries can be deceptive. After any injury, you should seek medical treatment. Even if you do not realize that you were seriously injured until after you left Philadelphia, you can still pursue a claim for your injuries. Contact an attorney who can advocate on your behalf, to seek compensation for your medical bills.

Injuries on Government Property

Many of the tourist attractions in Philadelphia are on state, city, or government-owned property. This includes the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and City Hall. If you are injured due to negligence on government property, there may be additional requirements that you must fulfill to file a claim for your injuries. Government entities have notice requirements for when you can file your claim.

If you were injured on federal government property, you have to file an administrative claim for your damages within a two-year period. The federal agency responsible then has 6 months to respond to your claim. If they reject your claim, you can file a lawsuit in federal court. If you were injured on Philadelphia city property, or Pennsylvania property, you only have 6 months to file your claim. If you fail to file your claim within the time limit, your claim may be denied. If you are unsure if the government is involved in your claim, talk to your attorney. They will find all the responsible parties, and make sure your claim is filed in time to get you compensated for your injuries.

Filing a claim for your injuries can be a lengthy process. You don’t want to have to deal with taking time off of work to take multiple trips to Philadelphia to deal with a lawsuit. The good news is that your attorney can handle most of your legal claim on your behalf, so you can stay home with your family, and get back to normal life. Your attorney will keep you informed of the progress of your case, and let you know about any settlement offers, so you can stay in control of your case, wherever you live.

Contact a Philadelphia Personal Injury Attorney

If you were injured in Philadelphia and are a resident of another city, you want an attorney who can handle the case for you so you can focus on recovery. You don’t need to deal with complex litigation and negotiating with insurance companies by traveling back and forth to Philadelphia while you are trying to get better. Contact the law firm of Gilman & Bedigian today for a free consultation. We will work for you and make sure you get the compensation you deserve.

    Contact Us Now

    Call 800-529-6162 or complete the form. Phones answered 24/7. Most form responses within 5 minutes during business hours, and 2 hours during evenings and weekends.

    100% Secure & Confidential


    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors
    Search in posts
    Search in pages

      100% Secure & Confidential