Can I Recover Money For Past & Future Medical Bills In Philadelphia?

  • aba
  • aaj
  • superlawyers
  • BBB
  • AVVO
  • icoa

Medical bills are some of the biggest expenses you may face after an injury. The bills for medical treatment, prescriptions, follow-up care, and physical therapy can quickly add up to tens of thousands of dollars. If you suffered a serious injury, you may be facing a continuing flood of medical bills long into the future. If your injury was caused by the negligence of someone else, then they should be responsible for paying your medical bills. If you file a personal injury lawsuit, you may be able to recover money for past and future medical bills.

Medical Damages in a Personal Injury Case

Most civil lawsuits include a claim for compensatory damages. Compensatory damages are intended to put the plaintiff in the same position they were in before the accident, to the extent possible. Damages in a personal injury case can include both economic and noneconomic damages. Economic damages include the costs associated with medical bills, both past and future, as well as lost wages. Noneconomic damages include things like pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment, and loss of service.

There are many types of medical care that may be required after an injury. A claim for past and future medical expenses can also include mental health care. Even a minor injury can result in expensive medical bills. A serious injury can result in a lifetime of medical treatment which can put your financial well-being at risk. Some people think that their insurance company will cover their medical expenses; however, you will still have to pay for co-pays, uncovered expenses, and treatment not covered by your insurance company. In some cases, your insurance company may deny your claim, leaving you responsible for your medical bills.

The person or entity responsible for your injury should be the one to pay your bills. In most cases, this requires filing a personal injury lawsuit. In a personal injury claim, the injured party is the plaintiff, seeking damages from the defendants. The plaintiff is entitled to recover for all reasonable and necessary medical treatment, in addition to future medical care they are likely to need.

Past medical bills may be easier to quantify. You should maintain all relevant medical records, including medical bills, and correspondence from your insurance company and health care provider. This may provide the basis for most of your past medical expenses. However, future medical bills may be more difficult to evaluate. In a personal injury case, a medical expert and an economic expert may be used to help provide expert reports and expert witness testimony to show the basis for future medical care.

A medical expert will evaluate the plaintiff’s injuries, medical treatment, and physical progress to establish a likely course of their future care. This may include future surgeries, hospital visits, nursing care, physical or occupational therapy, medications, medical supplies, and other medical costs. In addition, an economic expert may help provide a basis for what the future medical care will cost. They will factor in the rise of health care costs, the age of the plaintiff, and other economic factors to help the jury evaluate the costs of future medical care.

No Economic Damage Cap in Pennsylvania Personal Injury Cases

There are no caps on economic damages in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Capping economic damages is not permitted under the state constitution. If the defendant is found liable for your injuries, they may be required to pay the full amount of your past and future medical bills, no matter how high the cost.

Recovery for Medical Bills in a Philadelphia Personal Injury Case

If you or a loved one was injured, you should talk to a Philadelphia personal injury attorney about getting compensation and recovering money for past and future medical bills. An experienced Philadelphia personal injury attorney will help guide you through the claims process and advise you of your options. Don’t leave it up to the insurance company to write you a check. They may not offer you enough to pay for your past and future medical bills, leaving you to pay the rest. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident due to someone’s negligence, please do not hesitate to call Gilman & Bedigian today for a free consultation.

    Contact Us Now

    Call 800-529-6162 or complete the form. Phones answered 24/7. Most form responses within 5 minutes during business hours, and 2 hours during evenings and weekends.

    100% Secure & Confidential


    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors
    Search in posts
    Search in pages

      100% Secure & Confidential