Hospitals are supposed to be a safe environment for individuals to recover from illness or injuries. Unfortunately, hospitals can also be breeding grounds for infection. When a person is already in a compromised state due to an illness or injury, a hospital-acquired infection can lead to devastating medical consequences. If you believe that you are the victim of a hospital-acquired infection due to a hospital worker's medical malpractice, the team of personal injury attorneys at Gilman & Bedigian are standing by to help.
A hospital-acquired infection is considered any form of infection that occurs in a hospital patient that does not stem from the original health concern that brought the patient to the hospital. An infection can even be considered a hospital-acquired infection if a person is diagnosed with the infection after leaving the hospital, as the incubation period for some infections can be several days long.
A hospital can be a hot-bed for the spread of infections and disease. Think about it—hospitals are filled to the brim with patients who are immunocompromised or otherwise susceptible to the spread of infection. When a patient with an infection enters a hospital, he or she is treated by doctors and hospital staff who come into contact with dozens of other patients each and every day. If a healthcare worker is careless about hygiene, an infection in a hospital can spread like wildfire.
Knowing Your Rights After a Hospital-Acquired Infection
If you are suffering from complications arising from a hospital-acquired infection, you may have grounds to pursue a medical malpractice claim against the hospital to compensate for the injuries that you have suffered from the infection.
If you were diagnosed with a hospital-acquired infection, you can be eligible to receive financial compensation from the hospital or negligent medical provider to cover injuries including:
- Medical bills that you incurred as a result of treating the infection, including additional hospital stays, surgical procedures, and prescription medication or medical devices needed as a result of the infection;
- Future medical treatment and medical care that is required after being diagnosed with your infection;
- Income that you have lost due to having to miss work because of the hospital-acquired infection;
- Payment for physical pain that you have suffered as a result of the infection;
- Payment for emotional trauma that you endure--both past, present, and future--as a result of the injuries that you sustained from the infection, including depression, anxiety, or insomnia; and
- Compensation for the lack of support that you are able to provide to your spouse and family as a result of your injuries.
Suffering from Complications from a Hospital-Acquired Infection? We Can Help
If you believe that you could be the victim of medical malpractice due to an infection that you acquired at a Philadelphia hospital, the time to speak with a personal injury attorney about your options is now. At Gilman & Bedigian, our team of attorneys is committed to medical malpractice victims of hospital infections obtain the financial compensation that they need and deserve after complications from a hospital infection. To speak with a member of our medical malpractice team about your injuries, fill out an online case evaluation form or call (800-529-6162 today.