Each year thousands of Americans have adverse reactions to hair products (hair loss, chemical burns to the scalp, rash) due to the product itself, or because they are victims of a negligent beauty salon.
Just recently, a group of 200 women from 40 states filed a class-action lawsuit against celebrity stylist, Chaz Dean, for his haircare line, WEN. Some of the women in this case suffered severe hair loss (clumps of hair at the bottom of their drains and bald spots) as a result of using WEN Shampoo and Conditioner.
Being a victim of hair loss and scalp damage can be very painful and humiliating. Some causes for an adverse reaction from a hair product could be due to a defective product (or a dangerous ingredient in the product), which is alleged in the case against WEN, or due to the negligence of the individual applying the product.
Following recommendations by the FDA, the below tips may help keep you safe, and may help avoid a hair loss or chemical burn nightmare:
- Make sure you (or whoever is applying the product) is following the directions properly.
- Always have a skin test conducted first when using a new product to ensure there are no allergic reactions (as long as the product does not warn against direct skin contact).
- Wear gloves when applying hair dyes, relaxers, or perms.
- Do not allow dye to be applied to your eyelashes or eyebrows, as it could hurt your eyes and cause blindness.
- Do not leave the product on longer than the directions say you should.
- Rinse your scalp well with water after using hair products.
- Keep hair products out the reach of children.
If you believe that you suffered from a dangerous or defective hair or cosmetic product, or are a victim from a negligent beauty salon, contact Gilman & Bedigian today at 410-560-4999.
If you have had a bad reaction to hair or cosmetics products, inform the FDA. If you want preventative advice to avoid an adverse reaction to hair or cosmetic products, follow some simple tips from the FDA.
The information contained in this Website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal or medical advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient’s state. The content of this Website contains general information and may not reflect current law, statutes, regulations, legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Firm expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all the contents of this Website.
About the Author