A western Pennsylvania man was awarded around $9 million in damages after he filed a negligence lawsuit against a local hospital that made a series of mistakes while he was in the care of medical staff. It is considered the largest medical malpractice verdict in Butler County history.
Todd Wogan and his wife, Beverly Wogan filed the lawsuit five years ago against the Butler Health System, the parent company Butler Memorial Hospital, and surgeon Victor Nieto. They claim the defendants incompetently and negligently handled Todd’s procedure and follow-up procedure, while neglecting his need for medical attention in the moments after.
According to Wogan’s lawsuit, he was admitted into Butler Memorial Hospital in 2012 in order to undergo an emergency medical procedure. He had developed an unusual interconnection between his urinary bladder and colon, which is known in medical terms as a colovesical fistula. A surgery for this condition required a follow-up procedure within the same month. While practicing on Wogan, the attending surgeon, Nieto, removed approximately six inches of Wogan’s colon and surgically amended it together with staples.
After undergoing those medical procedures, Wogan’s health had rapidly diminished. He was not able to fully recover despite occasionally visiting the hospital and doctor’s office. After a few visits, his primary care physician suggested that he be readmitted into the hospital. Apparently, Wogan had suffered severe abdominal pains that would not subside. He was soon re-admitted at the end of March 2012 for a re-examination.
Wogan’s lawsuit claimed that hospital staff had waited a total amount of 12 hours to inform Nieto of his patient’s worsening condition. When he finally had the time to conduct an exploratory surgery, he determined that Wogan’s colon was severely perforated and had been leaking fluids into his abdomen. His condition called for more emergency medical procedures and extra care.
Wogan was flown to Allegheny General Hospital on Pittsburgh’s North side where he underwent another seven surgeries. They consisted of clearing out fecal matter and other infections from his abdominal cavity. Doctors at the hospital managed to save his life, but the prolonged septic shock he had experienced blocked the blood to his legs. It led to gangrene in both feet, forcing the physicians to amputate both legs at the calf. Wogan also lost his left thumb and a small part of his index finger because of circulation issues stemming from the amputation.
The jury found the Butler Health System to be 100% liable for Wogan’s injuries. His lawyer says the family is satisfied with the verdict.
If you have been injured while in the care of a medical professional or facility, you may be entitled to compensation. Attorneys Charles Gilman and Briggs Bedigian will focus on winning your case while you focus on recovering. Call their office at (800) 529-6162 or contact them online. The firm handles cases in Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Washington, D.C.
About the Author