H. Briggs Bedigian (“Briggs”) is a civil trial attorney exclusively dedicated to representing victims of medical malpractice and other catastrophic personal injury cases. Briggs co-founded Gilman & Bedigian, LLC, with his partner, Charles Gilman, with one guiding principle – providing the absolute best legal representation to the people most in need.
Attorney With The Best Medical Malpractice Verdicts In Maryland
In the legal community when the questions are asked “who is the best medical malpractice attorney” or “who is the best trial lawyer” Briggs' name is always at the top of the list. Briggs' results speak for themselves. He has won over One Hundred Million Dollars ($100,000,000.00) in jury verdicts for his clients thus far in his career. He was the lead lawyer in the two largest medical malpractice verdicts in Maryland. He has been nominated and named Maryland Trial Lawyer of the Year and has been recognized by Super Lawyers as one of the top 100 Lawyers across all disciplines. He has tried and won more serious malpractice cases than any other lawyer in the Washington/Baltimore Metro Area in the last ten years.
Briggs has earned a reputation in the legal community as the “go-to attorney” for serious medical malpractice and personal injury cases. When judges, defense lawyers, doctors and prominent lawyers refer Briggs their catastrophic personal injury cases you know he is providing top notch legal representation – and getting top results. Briggs is a focused and tenacious advocate for his clients. He is very compassionate and becomes deeply and emotionally invested in the cases he takes on. Briggs prides himself on being his clients' consummate protector and advocate. He is the most prepared lawyer anytime he steps into a courtroom and he takes no prisoners. When Briggs accepts a client's case you can be assured that you have the most dedicated and able advocate by your side. Briggs will consult and retain nationally renowned medical experts to investigate and, if necessary, testify in your case and utilize the most cutting edge trial advocacy and technology to help the jury understand why you should win.
Briggs' most prestigious and humbling recognition came in 2015 when he was inducted into the Inner Circle of Advocates. The Inner Circle of Advocates is widely considered the most selective and elite group of the top 100 plaintiffs' lawyers in the entire Country. Membership in the Inner Circle of Advocates is by invitation only, and is based on criteria that include a lawyer's performance and success in the courtroom. After a lawyer is nominated the group's selection committee carefully evaluates experience, reputation, judicial references and peer evaluations to identify if an attorney is worthy for induction. It is an extremely selective process. Briggs is one of the youngest members of this prestigious group of the most cutting edge trial lawyers the nation has to offer.
Briggs is also dedicated to protecting the rights of injured victims and the sanctity of our State's civil justice system. Briggs has been appointed and served in the past as the Legislative Chairman of the Maryland Association for Justice (formally known as the Maryland Trial Lawyers Association) and he routinely continues to testify in both the Maryland House of Delegates and Maryland Senate against the insurance industries relentless assault to legislate the legal rights away of people injured by another's negligence. Briggs also has been appointed as the co-chairperson of the Maryland Association for Justice's Medical Negligence section. Briggs has also routinely been asked to lecture to both trial lawyers and health care providers on the subject of medical malpractice law. Prior to beginning his career as a plaintiffs' lawyer, Briggs worked for a highly regarded boutique medical malpractice defense firm where he defended doctors and hospitals that were sued for malpractice. After handling numerous defense cases, Briggs decided to focus his career on representing injured victims as opposed to defending the insurance industry and corporate hospitals. However, Briggs' time on the defense side gave him valuable insight into the insurance industry and defense lawyer's litigation tactics.
Maryland's Highest Jury Verdicts In Medical Malpractice Cases
Briggs has recovered numerous multi-million dollar verdicts for his previous clients. Below are some recent notable trial verdicts:
- $21,000,000.00 – Medical Malpractice – Norfleet v. Harbor Hospital – Brain Damaged Baby
- $55,000,000.00 – Medical Malpractice – Martinez v. Johns Hopkins Hospital – Birth Injury
- $2,000,000.00 – Medical Malpractice – Wrongful Death – Lawani v. Hayes, M.D. Emergency Room Negligence
- $2,000,000.00 – Medical Malpractice – Abid v. St. Joseph's Medical Center – Negligent Obstetrical Care
- $450,000.00 – Medical Malpractice – Scriber v. Lima – Orthopedic Negligence
- $1,800,000.00 – Medical Malpractice – Sheldon v. University of Maryland Hospital – Infectious Disease Error
- $1,000,000.00 – Medical Malpractice – Pittman v. Mid Atlantic Cardiology – Cardiologist Malpractice
- $ 5,360,000.00 – Medical Malpractice – Berger v. Chucker, M.D. – Undiagnosed Colorectal Cancer
- $3,500,000.00 – Medical Malpractice – Gomez v. University of Maryland Medical System – Failure to Treat Infection
- $3,000,000.00 – Medical Malpractice – Evans v. University of Maryland Medical Center – Birth Injury, Erbs Palsy Brachial Plexus Injury
- $675,000.00 – Medical Malpractice – Smith v. Greater Baltimore Medical Center – Anesthesia Error/Complication
- $4,000,000.00 – Wrongful Death/Drowning – Freed v. D.R.D. Pool Services
- $1,400,000.00 – Medical Malpractice – Campbell v. Qureshi, M.D. – Infectious Management Error
- $2,500,000.00 – Medical Malpractice – Williams v. Hemphill – Obstetric Malpractice
- $1,400,000.00 – Medical Malpractice – Buttion v. Johns Hopkins Hospital – Cardiology Surgical Error
- $4,200,000.00 – Medical Malpractice – Richard and Gail Dallatezza v. Charles L. Schnee, M.D. and Hennessy, Shuey, & Schnee, Chartered – Post-Op Negligence
Briggs has also recovered numerous multi-million dollar settlements for his clients, which are not reflected above. Briggs has obtained some of the largest settlements ever achieved in medical malpractice cases in the metro area. As Briggs represents clients who have been catastrophically injured, the settlements of these types of cases are usually large, but are also confidential.
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court of Maryland
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D.
- Honors: Top 10% of class
- Ithaca College, New York, B.A.
- All American football player
- Captain of College football team – elected by teammates.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- The Inner Circle of Advocates
- Maryland Association for Justice – elected to Board of Governors
- The American Association for Justice
- The Heuisler Honor Society
- Invitee of the Million Dollard Advocates Forum
- Invitee of the Multi Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Associates of the Trial Lawyers of America, 2006
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Baltimore City Bar Association
Honors and Awards:
- 2015 Inducted into the Inner Circle of Advocates
- 2013 Trial Lawyer of the Year – Maryland Trial Lawyers Association
- Named as Maryland's Top 100 Lawyers by Super Lawyers Magazine
- Named as “Super Lawyer” in the field of medical malpractice by Maryland Super Lawyers Magazine.
- Named as a ‘Rising Star” in the field of medical malpractice and personal injury by Baltimore Magazine's Maryland Super Lawyers
- The Heuisler Honor Society
- Named in The National Trial Lawyers Top 40 under 40
- The Maryland Bar Journal, Vol XXXIV – Number6 – co-authored with Steven R. Tiller, Esquire –Intellectual Property * Technological Insurance Coverage; Nov/Dec 2001